SMU Enters Top 25 For First Time Since 1985
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The SMU men’s basketball team knocked off a top-10 opponent on Saturday for the first time since 1987. Now, they’ve accomplished something that has happened in nearly 30 years.
SMU (19-5, 8-3 American) is ranked No. 23 in the AP Poll released on Monday, entering the ranking for the first time since March 12, 1985.
After Saturdays’ 76-55 win over then No. 7 Cincinnati, the Mustangs are 3-1 against teams ranked in the top-25. The victory marked the first win over a top-10 team since the Mustangs defeated No. 7 Florida on Dec. 3, 1987 at Reunion Arena.
“At the beginning of the year, we knew that we believed in each other, but not a lot of people did,” said senior guard Russell after Saturday’s win. “I’m sure nobody expected us to be here. We knew what we had: We’ve got a great coach, a great coaching staff — the sky’s the limit.”
The team is 13-0 at home this season — including 7-0 at Moody Coliseum — their best home record since 1999-00 season. The school has sold out four of seven games since the renovated Moody Coliseum was opened on Jan. 4.
Larry Brown’s team opens a two-game road trip on Thursday, playing at Rutgers. The Mustangs then play Sunday at Temple, before returning home to host Houston on Wednesday.
Five American Athletic Conference teams appeared in the poll, tying the Big Ten for most by a conference.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Lady Bears Fall Short Of Final Four, Prepare For Next Season
- Pre-Game Playlist: Devon Still ‘Shakes It Off’ With Daughter Leah
- Parkland Hospital Unveils New Facility
- Texas Freshman Myles Turner Says He’ll Enter NBA Draft
- Mosquito Season Begins In Dallas County
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Garland Police Arrest Teen Suspect For 7-11 Clerk Murder
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures