Fallen Firefighter Remembered As Father, Husband & Role Model
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Tuesday night a Dallas firefighter was being remembered as a father, husband and man who died helping others.
It was late Monday night when William Tanksley was working at the scene of a crash on the southbound Spur 408 exit-ramp, above Interstate-20.
Investigators say another driver on the ramp was traveling at an unsafe speed and hit Tanksley. The 14-year veteran of the Dallas Fire-Rescue Department was killed after being knocked off the side of the overpass and down onto the interstate.
William “Scott” Tanksley was married with three children. His death is under investigation, but sources tell CBS 11 News the death appears to be the result of an unfortunate ice-related accident.
Clouds, cold and condolences hovered over the community in the Kaufman County town of Kemp. In addition to being a resident of the town Tanksley was a beloved father, coach and role model.
Dallas firefighter-paramedic William Tanksley was known as Scott… the small-town boy who had a major league pitching arm, until an injury ended that journey.
A different path in life would ultimately lead the 40-year-old to a new career with Dallas Fire Rescue.
“He loved his job, people, his family, his coworkers and they loved him,” said Scott’s uncle, Tom Tanksley.
The elder Tanksley, who is a retired member of the fire department, said his family knew the dangers firefighting could bring. Sadly, the danger came true for them.
“There are a number of injuries that come with motor vehicle accidents. Firefighting just has inherent dangers,” Tom Tanksley said of the profession.
A car, with no apparent traction on an icy overpass, hit Scott Tanksley while he was helping the victims of another accident.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dr. Dre Signs 23-Year-Old Rapper From Garland
- Dallas Police Sergeant Arrested, Facing Animal Cruelty Charges
- Darren Woodson To Be Added To Cowboys Ring Of Honor
- Using Coupons To Save On Beer & Wine? It Could Happen! Maybe
- Cowboys Cap Hell: The Scoop On The Latest Myth
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures