JUSTIN (CBS 11 NEWS) – Wednesday afternoon the gymnasium where the Lady Texan basketball team plays was empty.
The season is over but it was never supposed to end like this.
“One we are clinging to hope and mourning in the other,” Head Coach Rusty Johnson said sadly. “It’s a roller coaster of emotions for us.”
Shyann Hooper died Monday after a driver lost control of her truck near Northwest High School and slammed into Hooper’s car.
Investigators with the Texas Department of Transportation (DPS) said ice on the road might have been a factor.
Brianna Christensen was seriously hurt in the crash and has already undergone brain surgery. She remains in ICU at a Fort Worth hospital.
Both girls were stars on the school’s varsity team. Since the crash those team members have been by Christensen’s side.
“We took her jersey to her this morning and made sure she had it,” Coach Johnson said, as he stopped for a moment to wipe away tears. “That way she has it in her room and then we will be retiring jersey 24.”
Coach Johnson said he was overwhelmed by the number of students who showed up early Wednesday morning to be a part of a prayer circle for the two families. Hundreds gathered inside the high school to bow their heads.
Johnson said the prayer was much needed for a heartbroken school and a team left looking for answers. “They are resilient right now they are going through a lot they were extremely close to both young ladies,” he said.
The coach said this is the hardest thing he’s ever had to do.
Now as he, team members and students grieve with Shyann’s family all are praying with Brianna’s all while trying to remain strong for a team learning a touch lesson so early in life.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- “Deepwater Horizon” Film Shows Disaster’s Human Toll
- Safety A Big Topic With The State Fair Of Texas Just 3 Days Away
- Pence Breaks With Trump, Says Humans Affect Climate Change
- Cuban Responds To Trump’s Tax Comments
- LSU Firing Les Miles Now Makes No Sense
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures