Jon Daniels Reacts To Astros Hiring Nolan Ryan
DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) — With GM Jon Daniels and President Nolan Ryan in place, the Texas Rangers appeared in back-to-back World Series in 2010 and 2011.
But Ryan left the organization this off-season amid a perceived power struggle between the two.
Now, Ryan has joined AL West opponent Houston to serve as an executive advisor to owner Jim Crane, GM Jeff Luhnow and his son and president of business operations Reid Ryan.
While it’s unclear what the position involves, Daniels believes that the Astros will ultimately benefit from Ryan’s presence.
“Bottom line, I think Nolan brings a lot of experience and knowledge to the game — both business and baseball,” said Daniels on 105.3 The Fan’s New School. “A lot of us benefited from his time here as well as the organization. I’m sure the Astros will benefit similarly– although it doesn’t sound like it’s as direct of a day-to-day role, more of an advisory spot.”
Many fans in Texas credit Ryan — not Daniels — for the club’s back-to-back World Series appearances. So, is it important now for Daniels to prove that the organization can win if he is ‘the guy’?
“I don’t really think of it that way. I want to win period. The competitor in me — that’s what we do. I don’t play golf; this is how I compete,” said Daniels.
‘There’s no added competitive fuel there. I want to beat Oakland; I want to beat Anaheim. I want to beat Seattle; I want to beat Houston. I want to win the American League and hopefully win the whole thing.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Texas Political Leaders, Lawmakers React To Jim Wright’s Death
- Gov. Greg Abbott Backs Contentious Anti-Gay Marriage Bill
- Researchers: Typical Workers Get Interrupted Every 11 Minutes
- NFL: Wells Report Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- White House Weighs In On ISIS Claiming Responsibility For Garland Attack
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures