Skydiving Accident Survivor Speaks In Dallas
CBS DFW (con't)
Affordable Care Act Updates: CBSDFW.com/ACA
Health News & Information: CBSDFW.com/Health
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The teenage girl from Joshua who was injured in a skydiving mishap last month spoke to members of the media at a hospital in Dallas on Thursday morning. Makenzie Wethington said that she does not really remember everything that happened that day because, she believes, her body went into shock.
The 16-year-old girl plummeted some 3,500 feet during a skydiving accident at a Chickasha skydiving school in Oklahoma on January 25. Wethington suffered injuries to her liver, pelvis, lower spine, shoulder blade, ribs and teeth. She was transferred to Baylor Medical Center Dallas for rehabilitation after spending about a week recovering at a hospital in Oklahoma City.
Her doctor in Dallas said that Wethington is able to walk at least 150 feet now, even though her injuries are serious. The teenage girl is expected to make a full recovery, and could be released from the hospital in one or two weeks.
Wethington recalled that fateful day at the Thursday news conference. She remembers that another man was supposed to jump before her, but he was having a panic attack while on board the plane. That did not scare the teen, however, and she offered to jump first. But that is about all that Wethington can recall.
“I remember getting into the plane and feeling that rush of excitement. And I remember jumping out of the plane and looking up and seeing that there was a complication with the parachute,” Wethington said. “I started kicking my feet like I was taught in class, and I looked up and it still wasn’t fixing, so I tried to pull toggles apart and I was not strong enough to fight off the wind. So I just remember screaming, and then I blacked out.”
The teen said that she did learn one valuable lesson from this entire ordeal — always listen to your mother. Wethington’s mom did not want her daughter to make the jump.
See The Full News Conference:
- 5 Players In The NFL Who Will Have A Bounce Back Season Offensively
- Perry: NH Should Be Embarrassed By Shaheen
- Ventura Gets $1.8 Million In Defamation Case
- Manziel’s College Jersey Up For Auction
- Texas Bingo Operators Win Suit To Lobby Lawmakers
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures