FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) — A pair of sexual assaults at an East Fort Worth apartment complex has female residents looking over their shoulders—and doing what they can to look out for each other. Police are still investigating and today stressed that they have a “person of interest” in custody. But, many of the women who live at the complex are not yet ready to relax.
“It has made me nervous, being a single woman coming in and out,” says Donna Trotter, “a lot of the women put their lights on to let us know that they’re inside of their cars, just to let us know that they’re there. “
The management at the Havenwood apartment homes on Boca Raton put notices on tenant’s doors following the attacks in January and earlier this month, warning them to be wary. The attack in early February occurred in a laundry room on the property, and also warned that the suspect flashed what appeared to be a badge and was “posing as a police officer.”
Residents are understandably worried.
“Every time I see a police officer—or anybody—I always make sure I look three ways before going to my car by myself,” says Dejoria Brown. Brown says after learning of the attacks, her father walks her and her mom to their vehicles at night and asks that they call when approaching the apartment security gate.
Fort Worth police via email today said the suspect in the attacks initiated phone contact with the victims to arrange a personal meeting. Citing the ongoing investigation, police declined to name the suspect or release his photograph; but, confirmed that he is being held on unrelated charges and is currently in jail.
“Even though they said they found the guy, it still makes me terrified,” says Brown, “because I’m like, it could be somebody else that’s out there. We don’t know if the guy lives in these apartments, we don’t know if he was coming in…we don’t know any more information about it.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Hill Scores 21, Leads Kings Past Mavericks 93-88 For 1st Win
- Dallas Man Says Woman Drugged Him, Stole His Puppy
- Teen Shot In The Head At Garland Park
- Devin Harris Granted Leave Of Absence After Brother’s Death
- Wild Boar Rampage Injures 4 People
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures