The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Judge Carl Ginsberg presided over two ceremonies its participants believe are the first, legal gay marriage in Texas.
Two couples said their “I-do’s” and all four people consider themselves female. But one member of each couple has had their gender changed surgically from male to female.
“On all of my information, it still says male,” said Ashely Boucher. “So, legally I’m still male in the state of Texas. My presentation would suggest otherwise. But my documentation says that I can marry Genevieve no questions asked.
“If you were born male and became female through being transgendered or having a gender reassignment surgery, they consider you to be biologically male,” said UTA political science professor Thomas Marshall.
The couples struggled to find clerks and judges who would cooperate with the marriages trying as many as 17 courts according to one of the participants, Genevieve Jonte.
“The lady at the clerk said, ‘But you two are women’,” said Jonte. “And we said, “Well, here are our documents. Can you give us a license?’ And they didn’t know what to say. A lot of closing the blinds.
“We sat our child between us when we applied there and said, ‘We’re a normal couple just like anybody else’.”
Jonte said she has two children from a previous marriage.
The couples are clear, they want to send a message. “I hope that we can be an inspiration for someone like myself who thought a few years ago this wouldn’t be possible,” Jonte said.
“That’s all I want is to be equal,” said J.J. Larson who married her transgender partner, too.
“It will be interesting to see if the state tries to intervene in this at all or upper appeals courts in Texas try to reverse this decision,” Professor Marshall said. “Certainly that would put their cases elsewhere in a very weak position if they were trying to do that.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Diahann Carroll Honored By TBAAL For Work
- TCU Security Guard Arrested For Improper Photography
- More Than 300 Birds Seized From Alleged Cock Fighting Operation
- Johnson Co. Residents Clean Up After Storm Hits
- Amber Alert Canceled After 3 Children Found In Houston
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures