Suspect In DPD Officer Shooting Surrenders To Police
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - The suspect who Dallas police say shot an officer just after 12 p.m. Saturday at an apartment complex near 13030 Audelia Rd. has surrendered to police.
Rakeem Perkins, 20, is suspected have shot officer Joshua Burns, a 5-year veteran of the DPD.
Perkins turned himself in to police at 6 p.m. Saturday at DPD headquarters. He was accompanied by his mother, an aunt and a family friend, police say.
Police were notified that Perkins would be coming to surrender by his mother, who also advised of that her son received a gunshot wound to the thigh.
He was transported to Parkland hospital by ambulance upon arrival to police headquarters.
As of Sunday afternoon, Perkins now sits in jail on a $2 million bond.
Dallas police said Perkins will be charged with two counts of aggravated assault on a public servant – a first degree felony. Other charges could surface pending further investigation into the incident.
Perkins was at large for hours after he ditched his vehicle and fled on foot into a residential area near Bellafonte Drive and Fall Manor Drive.
The initial call went out around noon as a disturbance at 13030 Audelia Rd. Officers Joshua Burns and Salvador Varillas went to talk to Perkins, who was in his vehicle, when shots were fired.
Both Northeast Division officers returned fire, and Burns was shot. Perkins then fled on foot.
Varillas, a 19-year veteran of the DPD, was not injured.
The Dallas SWAT and K-9 teams as well as Air One became involved in the incident.
CBS 11 is told Burns was rushed to Baylor Medical Center, and was shot in the leg, shoulder and upper body, but was protected by his vest. He is in stable condition.
The good news came directly from the @DallasPD twitter account:
CBS 11 will bring you updates at the become available.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- $3 Million Grand Prairie Park & Ride Lot Sits Empty
- New Bus Services From Dallas To Houston Promises To ‘Luxurious’
- Moustakas Hits Grand Slam In Royals’ Victory Over Rangers
- Mother: Salesperson Shamed Me For Allowing Daughter To Wear Boy Clothes
- Newly Released Video Shows Fort Worth Officer Involved Shooting
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures