DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Dallas police are investigating yet another driveway robbery that took place Sunday night — this time, in Oak Cliff.
There have been more than 20 similar incidents reported in Dallas since the beginning of the year.
Janie Gomez and her husband pulled up to their Oak Cliff home around eight o’clock Sunday night, with two of their grandchildren in tow. As soon as Gomez opened the passenger side door a young woman forced the door open, put a gun to her face and demanded her purse.
“It’s the element of surprise,” Gomez recalled. “I guess I was panicked and I looked like I was trying to fight and she told me ‘Don’t fight me. Don’t fight me!’ and I was scared that the gun would go off.”
Gomez did not have her purse with her and to prove it, she told the suspect she was going to turn on the light in their van so she could see for herself. When the light turned on, her 4-year-old grandson caught a glimpse of the suspect and the gun and began to cry.
“She said, ‘Be quiet, baby. Be quiet, baby,’ trying to calm him down,” Gomez said.
Meanwhile, a second suspect, a young male, threatened Gomez’s husband with a knife. “He said, ‘My partner got a gun on your wife, you need to hand over your wallet.’”
Gomez’s husband complied with the robber’s directions and the suspects ran and got into a light-colored SUV parked a few houses down.
The suspects got away with credit cards, a driver’s license, passport and cash.
While Gomez’s priority is helping her grandson forget the incident, she hopes her story helps others become more aware of the potential danger lurking outside their own homes.
“My fear is that one of these days, they may get desperate and shoot someone.”
Suspect descriptions vary in many of the robberies, so police don’t think they are all connected.
Dallas police are urging residents to be vigilant and aware of their surroundings at all times. If you notice any suspicious activity, call 911 immediately.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Texas House Passes Bill Making Lottery Winners Anonymous
- Move Over, April! Dallas Zoo Reveals Giraffe’s Pregnancy
- Ivanka Trump Heads To Berlin For Women’s Conference
- Passengers In Viral Airline Videos Have Same Lawyer
- Hail Damage To City Vehicles Causes Trash Delays In Plano
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures