Victim Recounts Terrifying Driveway Robbery
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Dallas police records show that 30 reports of driveway robberies were filed so far this year.
The robberies are happening all over the city. But on Dutton Dr. in southwest Dallas, it has happened twice in less than a week. Surveillance video from one of the robberies show the thieves may be hiding, laying in wait, ready to pounce on unsuspecting victims.
Robbery victim Janie Gomez said she isn’t sure where her attackers came from. But the moment she tried to open her car door Sunday night, she was accosted. A young woman held a gun to her face and a man pulled a knife on her husband.
“I was so scared the gun would go off,” said Gomez, whose 4-year-old grandson was sitting in the backseat crying.
Gomez said she believed the baby’s presence saved her.
“I think him crying helped him lower her fierceness,” said Gomez. The suspects still stole her husband’s wallet and fled.
But just four days earlier, and a mere 6 blocks away another woman was robbed in her driveway.
“It did happen really fast actually,” said victim Alex Rosales.
The robber jogged toward Rosales, grabbed her purse and put a gun to her head. Her neighbor’s security camera caught the thief on tape.
“You’ll see him walking by,” said her neighbor. The suspect then his behind a tree before racing toward Rosales with a gun.
“They said, he knew my routine and that he was waiting for me.”said Rosales, who now carries a baton and is hoping to get a license to carry a gun.
The surveillance video isn’t clear whether the man who attacked Rosales is the same person responsible for the robbery down the street.
Police said they think different people are using the same strategy to take advantage of victims.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Woman Takes Dramatic Picture Of North Texas Weather
- Johnson County Deputy Hurt After Bridge Collapse
- Single Mom Fired Before First Day Over Facebook Post
- Your Health & The Reusable Grocery Bag Trap
- Nowitzki Still Working With Mavs In Trouble Against Rockets
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures