SURPRISE, Ariz (CBSDFW.COM) — The Texas Rangers expected prospect Jurickson Profar to become their everyday second baseman in 2014. That expectation is on hold — at least for now.
Profar will not throw for at least a week and will not swing a bat for the next few days, according to CBS 11’s Bill Jones.
General manager Jon Daniels spoke to reporters on Tuesday, calling the move precautionary.
“It’s not like it’s a long-term deal,” Daniels said. “It’s just the nature and the timing of it. There’s not much room for error as far as the timeline for Opening Day. It’s not something we want to be lingering. We want to try and get this knocked out.”
The best case scenario would allow Profar to play at second in games during the second or third week of March. According to manager Ron Washington, that would still be plenty of time to prepare for Opening Day.
In 85 games in 2013, the 20-year-old Profar hit .234 with six homeruns and 26 RBIs.
The Rangers are otherwise thin at second base after trading Ian Kinsler this offseason.
Daniels said the Rangers will not look outside of the organization for infield help. Among the options currently on the roster is Adam Rosales, who the Rangers signed to a one-year deal in November.
Pitchers and catchers reported to Surprise on Sunday, while the full squad and first official practice is on Wednesday.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Barford’s 16 Points Leads Arkansas Past Texas A&M, 86-77
- No. 3 Kansas Routs TCU 87-68 To Clinch Share Of Big 12 Title
- Evans, Hammond Lead Oklahoma State Over K-State
- Pelicans’ Cousins: He And Davis Can ‘Wreak Havoc’ Together
- WWE: Why Naomi Will Reclaim The SmackDown Women’s Title
- Azle Residents Take Quake Concerns To Austin
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- TCU Students Demand Higher Quality Toilet Paper
- Norovirus May Have Sickened Hundreds At School
- McKinney Native Busts Through Sochi Hotel Door
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures