Building Bridges For Trinity River Vision Underway
Get Breaking News First
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) - Employees at the Little Germany Restaurant on Henderson Street just past where White Settlement Road splits off of it look forward to the day when the land near them is under water.
“I’ve always wanted to work at a water front property!” laughed Julie Martin, a server at the restaurant.
It’s part of the Trinity River Vision project to cut a channel parallel to where the river bends through downtown. It will create a large island for development where there were once mostly scrap yards and abandoned warehouses. The project will also improve flood control.
But before the channel is dug out for water, three bridges have to be built on Henderson Street, North Main Street and White Settlement road. And that construction — more cones, barricades and detours — will start this year.
They’re building the bridges now because it’s cheaper to do it on dry land. So, for the next three years drivers will have to find ways around the construction.
All three of those streets will be affected by the construction. On Henderson and North Main they’re building new roads to divert traffic around the bridges. The biggest headaches will likely be found on White Settlement Road.
“We’ll have detour roads nearby that the public will be able to utilize,” said Fort Worth Capital Projects Manager Mark Rauscher. “They’ll be able to utilize the Henderson detour road which is a four lane roadway which has the same carrying capacity as the road that’s there today. And they’ll be able to utilize the west seventh street corridor.”
Traffic detours will likely start in late spring and remain in place until 2017. Until then people at the Little Germany Restaurant say they’ll have to tolerate the inconvenience and dream of water front property.
“That would be wonderful!” Martin exclaimed. “If the new owners rebuild and decide to have us as a restaurant here we would love it!”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- AA Jet Makes Quick Stop After Cabin-Pressure Issue
- Wendy Davis Attacks Greg Abbott’s Pre-K Education Plan
- Residents Who Recorded West Plant Explosion Tell Story Behind Video
- Texas AG Greg Abbott Faces Death Penalty Choice
- Rubio To Texans: Terrorists Training In Syria May Strike U.S.
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures