Covert Criminal Investigation Ends In Gunfire
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - A covert criminal investigation in southeast Dallas ended Wednesday morning with shots fired by Dallas Police.
“I heard two big rounds going off,” said Franklin Ortega, who lives in the 6100 block of Petain Avenue.
Dallas police say Senior Corporal John Casey was working an undercover investigation into criminal activity on the street, when police say he was approached by two suspects. Police say one of the suspects was armed, and Casey discharged his weapon.
The suspect was taken to the hospital. His girlfriend tells CBS11 News, the man was shot twice in the gut, and is in critical condition. The girlfriend says they woke up to the dogs barking and went outside to investigate, and that’s when police fired.
Dallas police haven’t elaborated on the nature of the undercover investigation, but neighbors have concerns for the type of activity taking place on the street, and at the house where the investigation focused.
“I’ve seen a lot of people in and out of that house. I don’t know what they’re doing. Just a lot of in and out of that house,” said a neighbor.
Police records show officers have responded to a number of calls on the 6100 block of Petain Avenue, including a drive by shooting, a car theft, drugs found, and several assaults.
According to another police report, the gun the suspect had was registered as stolen by the Sulphur Springs police department in 1992. Police also found a bag of cocaine Wednesday morning.
Dallas Police Deputy Chief Gil Garza says the department is looking into several aspects of what happened Wednesday morning that led to the shooting, but the department will not comment further.
“Unfortunately, I can’t say it’s anything new. It happens often but you don’t see it the way it ended up tonight,” said Franklin Ortega, another neighbor.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Jacksonville Jaguars Place All Of Their Eggs In Basket Of Blake Bortles
- Former DPD Officer Guilty In Beating Of Suspect Jailed
- Rocket Explodes During Test Flight; No Injuries
- Man Indicted For Aiming Laser Pointer At Aircraft
- Officer’s Association Calling For FWPD Chief’s Resignation
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures