KELLER (CBS 11 NEWS) – Another round today in the debate over the current state law on open carrying was taken to Keller.
A group of protestors sounded off on laws they say are outdated and illegal by performing an “open carry walk.”
“I just want to say God bless Texas and God bless the 2nd amendment,” one demonstrator said.
It’s in that spirit that dozens of 2nd Amendment right supporters took to the streets in Keller with their long barreled guns strapped to their backs, and on full display.
“Most people don’t realize that it’s legal to open carry a long gun,” another demonstrator explained.
But it is, however, illegal to open carry a handgun in Texas. Only concealed carry of a handgun is allowed with proper licensing.
Now, they’re hoping movements like this one will extend the same privilege to those carrying handguns.
It’s those kinds of restrictions the group known as “open carry Texas” wants to do away with.
“That means you being able to carry concealed or open without any kinds of rules or regulations. No license. Your license is basically the constitution, the second amendment,” supporter Mark Thomas said.
Thomas is running for a Texas senate seat and is building his platform around that idea. Others who came out to see the rally though, have a different opinion.
One man said he feels like open carry of handguns will make people feel uncomfortable.
The contention for both sides is what they perceive to be their right; One side believes it’s their right to exercise the 2nd amendment free of restrictions, while others don’t feel the same.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Oak Cliff Library Checks Out More Than Books
- North Texas Woman Gets $55,000 Hotel Bill For ‘Unspecified Damages’
- Promising Wonder Pill Adds Years To Dog’s Life
- Rangers To Retire Uniform Number Of Ivan ‘Pudge’ Rodriguez
- President Trump Signs First Executive Order Regarding Obamacare
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures