DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – In an attempt stay on the cutting edge of social media, the Dallas Police Department announced a plan that will allow its officers to tweet from the field. The department is also expanding its social media reach with the launch of a new blog and Pinterest page.
DPD launched its latest social media push Monday morning, at an event they dubbed “DPD Tweets Big.”
Officers will be trained to tweet and initially the tweets will be approved by software so inappropriate tweets can be filtered out. DPD officers will be the first from any department in the country to tweet from the field, according to the department. Tweeting from the officers will be voluntary, in an effort to get out real time information and to reach young people who don’t attend crime watch meetings.
“Let’s hashtag “DPD Tweet Big,” hashtag “See Something, Say Something,” hashtag “Start Snitchin’,” said DPD Chief David O. Brown at Monday’s event.
DPD also announced its new blog, DPDbeat.com, will be a collection of pictures, press releases, cold case information, and helpful phone numbers. Links to the department’s Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram pages can be accessed from the blog as well.
The department’s Pinterest page will showcase lost or stolen items found by police. If residents see something they think belongs to them, they can put in a claim for the item. Already, the page has postings of 12 items, from bicycles to hardware to jewelry.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Signed Harper Lee Novels Offered For $1,500
- Report: Former Cowboys RB Joseph Randle Arrested In Kansas
- Angels Sign Former Rangers Catcher Soto
- Warriors Make NBA History With 16-0 Start
- Big 12 Title Implications In Thanksgiving Games
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures