Mansfield Moves Toward Gas Drilling Limits
MANSFIELD (CBSDFW.COM) – Mansfield city leaders have moved one step closer to passing new gas drilling restrictions.
City council members voted unanimously in support of the plan, which would ban energy companies from hydraulic fracking on Sundays.
The proposed restrictions would also require energy companies to send notifications to nearby residents (within 1,000 ft.) about their drill site operations, including an estimated completion date.
The ordinance also addresses the many noise complaints coming from neighbors of drilling sites. It would require companies to provide online access to noise equipment for the city inspector.
“This real time access would give the gas well inspector an opportunity to respond more quickly to those complaints, and to analyze that information and track any violations.”
Finally, operators would also be required to get rid of diesel operated rigs in favor of electric ones.
“That’s something that Chesapeake has done at one of its sites here in Mansfield. It has a significant impact on reducing the noise and the fumes created by the diesel driven equipment,” said Belinda Willis, spokesperson for the city of Mansfield.
City council members must pass the ordinance two more times before it would go into effect. Those votes are scheduled between now and March 24.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- This Week In Baseball: Winners & Losers Of The MLB Trade Deadline
- Witnesses Sought In Fatal, Officer-Involved Shooting In Fort Worth
- Sandra Bland’s Family Sues State Trooper, Wants Answers
- Fort Worth Officials To Address Flood Concerns
- Proposed Muslim Cemetery Topic Of Farmersville Town Hall
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures