NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Are you or some of the people you know running low on ammunition? Two of the most common types of bullets are in very short supply at stores across North Texas. It seems to some the bullets are ‘worth their weight in gold.’
Phil Ryan is a firearms instructor, and an expert on guns and ammunition. “Big box stores didn’t gauge people,” he said. “They just didn’t have it.”
According to Ryan, 9-millimeter rounds remain scarce across North Texas most. Now he says you can add .22-caliber ammunition the hard-to-find list.
Look in almost every big box store, in and around town, and you’ll find the same thing – empty shelves.
“People are in a panic mode and buying up everything they can, as soon as they see it,” Ryan said.
The shortage in supply has nothing to do with manufactures, but it has everything to do with consumer habits.
People like Ryan say there are two types of people hoarding these rounds:
– Those who fear the government will further restrict gun rights
– Those preparing for some kind of a doomsday
Ryan explained their conspiracy theories are, “Everything from a super volcano, to a tsunami. The number one thing people worry about is an economic collapse do to financial turmoil.”
Those who believe these theories think that if the latter were to happen ammunition would become a new form of currency for those looking to protect themselves.
“This stuff could be worth its weight in gold. That’s why it’s getting so hard to get.”
Ryan said the numbers of people who believe the theories are growing, and that means even more demand for the 9 mm and .22 caliber rounds. He believes the popularity of the rounds is soaring mainly because they are less expensive than other ammunition.
For now, Ryan and everyone else can only wait for the supply and demand to stabilize. “I’m hoping, if everything stays level, we’ll see some normalcy by the summer,” he said.
CBS 11 News contacted nearly 20 Academy Sports stores in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and almost all of them reported not having 9 mm or .22 caliber rounds in stock by mid-day. Stores advised that shoppers get there early in the morning, to take advantage of overnight restocking.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Danny Garcia: Thurman’s ‘Never Been In The Ring With A Guy Like Me’
- Casey Affleck Speaks About Sexual Harassment Claims
- Grapevine Police Say Man Stabbed Co-Worker To Death
- McDonald’s To Offer Mobile Order-&-Pay This Year
- New Exxon CEO Says Company Will Boost Production
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures