FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Police say an accident caused by a suspected drunk driver traveling the wrong way on East Loop 820 near I-30 in Fort Worth injured eight people Saturday, sending five to the hospital.
Police spokeswoman Sharron Neal said the wrong-way driver was traveling southbound on the northbound lanes of East Loops 820 around 5;30 a.m.
When officers went to locate the wrong-way driver, they came up on a major accident near Craig Street and East Loop 820.
Three vehicles involved in the wreck, one of which was facing the opposite direction on the shoulder of the road. Alcohol was smelled at the scene, leading police to believe the wrong-way driver was drunk.
The suspected drunk female driver was arrested and transported to Harris Health Methodist Hospital.
One child was hurt in the incident and transported to Cook Children’s Hospital. Three more adults were also transported to Harris Methodist Hospital.
The other three people involved in the wreck were treated and released at the scene.
We’re told two of the people that went to the hospital were in serious condition. The remaining six had minor, non-life threatening injuries.
Their current conditions are unknown at this time, and the suspected drunk driver’s name has yet to be released.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Houston Zoo Reinstalls Signs Prohibiting Guns
- Report: US Abortions Continue To Decline, Down
- Dallas Restaurant Serving Free Thanksgiving Meals
- More Opportunities To Head Down Under
- Fourth Arrest Made in Plano Teen’s Slaying
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures