If there was ever any doubt Texas weather can turn on a dime, it was crushed under the weight of thundersleet today.
After two balmy days in the 80s, temperatures crashed Sunday into the 20s. A precipitous drop with , yes, precipitation to go with it.
We’ve seen freezing rain and sleet on and off most of the day across North Texas, with some heavier pockets of thundersleet at times. Thundersleet is basically a thunderstorm that produces sleet instead of rain…but it still has lightning & thunder associated with it.
Some locations have picked up over 1/2″ of sleet causing slick spots, mainly on bridges & overpasses. Most of the icy precipitation will end by 7pm. By the way, the last time the DFW Metroplex saw a WINTER STORM WARNING in March or later was March 6, 2008. Collin County and areas just to the north and east saw a WINTER STORM WARNING on March 21, 2010.
The bitter cold is the other big story. A WIND CHILL ADVISORY is in effect overnight until 8am Monday for “feels like” numbers in the -5 to 0 range! That is dangerous cold and can lead to frostbite very quickly. Actual temperatures will be in the teens at wake-up on Monday.
High temperatures Monday will stay below freezing for most of North Texas. With many dry hours expected, a lot of the moisture will have a chance to evaporate or sublimate.
There is a slight chance of more possible wintry weather by Tuesday morning, but then a bigger warm-up by the end of the week. There are signs of more cold air for next weekend though. Remember, winter doesn’t officially end until March 19th, not that it matters it seems this year.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Army Veteran To Receive Home From Local Charity
- Vacant Elementary School Catches On Fire
- Recovery Efforts Continue For Boy Who Fell Into Brazos River
- Coast Guard Closes Neches River After Oil Spill
- Spieth Earns 8th PGA Win, 1st in Texas
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures