Many Stranded Drivers From Terrell To Tyler
TERRELL (CBSDFW.COM) - Parts of Interstate-20 to the east of Dallas are virtually a parking lot on Monday morning after ice on the road has led to numerous crashes and stalled vehicles along both directions of the freeway. Motorists are getting stranded between Terrell and Tyler, and several law enforcement agencies are scrambling to help out.
The Texas Department of Public Safety in Tyler reported that the road has been shut down in both directions near Lindale, and there is no sign that it will be opened again soon. Temperatures across North Texas are expected to stay below freezing until late on Tuesday morning.
CBS 11 News photojournalist Jake Shannon traveled along the icy highway on Monday morning to test the conditions for himself, and likened it to driving a Zamboni on an ice hockey rink. “Very, very treacherous, just horrible conditions to drive on out here,” he said.
At least 28 vehicles have gotten stuck or spun out, and many appear to be drivers who have simply gotten overconfident along the icy roads. Officials continue to warn motorists to take it slow, leave plenty of room between your vehicle and the one in front of you, and be sure to bring supplies in case you find yourself stranded along the road.
- Man Dies In SUV Fire Behind NRH Walmart
- Twitter Lets Merchants Offer Deals To Users
- Things That Apple’s $700 Billion Value Could Buy
- Ferguson Protesters Block Highway In Dallas
- McCoy Not Surprised By Murray’s Rushing
- Driveway Robbers Threaten Grandparents With 4-Year-Old
- The First, Legal Gay Marriage In Texas?
- Woman Dies In Fort Worth Stockyards Shooting
- Cowboys Pre-Combine Mock Draft
- Dallas Firefighter Remembered At Funeral
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures