FRISCO (CBS 11 NEWS) – A Frisco father is asking police to drop the murder charge against his wife. Pallavi Dhawan is accused of killing her son in February, but the family says a recently completed autopsy helps prove her innocence.
Sumeet Dhawan says the newly released autopsy proves what he and his wife have said all along about their 10-year-old son Arnav’s death: It says while the cause and manner of his death are undetermined, natural disease is most likely.
“I also said from the beginning the truth will come out, we had nothing to hide,” recalled Dhawan . “There’s no injury marks, there’s no drowning, there’s no foul-play.”
Frisco police arrested and charged his wife Pallavi with first-degree murder after finding the boy’s body on January 29. The child had been wrapped in a cloth and placed in a dry bathtub, with ice packs.
Dhawan explained that his wife waited for him to come home from an overseas business trip, and didn’t call 911. They say waiting for the father to see the body is a ritual in their Indian culture.
According to the family, Arnav was born with a brain and skull that didn’t fully develop, and that the typical life expectancy for people with his condition is just 20 years of age. “We just want the charge to be dropped,” Dhawan said.
The autopsy revealed that the medical examiner didn’t receive the boy’s medical records until two days after performing the autopsy.
According to the family’s attorney, David Finn, Frisco police should have shared the medical records with the medical examiner. Now, Finn wants police to hold a news conference to clear his client’s name. “And say with the benefit of hindsight, there’s no evidence your wife harmed Arnav in any way. Don’t worry you’re not going to get sued. It’s the decent thing to do.”
Frisco police said Thursday that the case is ongoing, and that they’re not making any additional statements at this time.
Follow Jack on Twitter: @cbs11jack
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- High Court Denies Hearing Wendy Davis’ Appeal In Texas Redistricting Case
- Messi, Ronaldo & Neymar Nominated For World’s Top Player Award
- “Hunger Games” Tops “Creed” & “The Good Dinosaur”
- Adele’s ’25’ Breaks Record With 3.38 Million Copies Sold
- Cyber-Monday At Amazon Fulfillment Center
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures