FRISCO (CBSDFW.COM) — A medical examiner’s report says the cause of a 10-year old Frisco boy’s death cannot be determined, a ruling which could damage the case against the child’s mother, who was arrested for murder.
The body of Arnave Dhawan was found in the bathtub of his Frisco home in January. His mother was arrested for murder, but the attorney who represents 38-year old Pallavi Dhawan says the Medical Examiner’s office report shows no signs of injury or a struggle.
“[The medical examiner] details his series of medical issues and maladies; however, ultimately she says it’s undetermined,” said family attorney David Finn. “But it trends very, very heavily towards natural causes.”
The family has said the child had preexisting medical conditions.
Dahwan was arrested at the scene after reportedly admitting to killing the boy, according to Frisco Police.
“Officers asked if she had killed the child, and Mrs. Dhawan nodded her head yes,” Frisco Sergeant Brad Merritt said.
Finn disputes the claim that Dhawan ever admitted to the killing.
“That didn’t happen. The police never asked her, ‘did you do this?’ That’s pure fiction,” said Finn. “The minute they kicked the door in and found Arnav, she was separated from her husband, handcuffed, thrown in the squad car, and Mirandized. That question was never asked.”
Frisco Police are not commenting on the findings of the report, saying the investigation is still ongoing.
The Collin County District Attorney could still present the case to a grand jury.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Doxakis, Texas A&M Shut Down Auburn, 4-2 In SEC
- Perez Plays Ball Off Choo’s Nose To Help Duffy, KC Top Texas
- Balta Drives In 4 Runs To Lead TCU Past West Virginia, 8-1
- Champions League Final: Salah Challenges Ronaldo’s Supremacy
- Gordon Leads Rockets Over Warriors 98-94 To Take Series Lead
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures