ERATH COUNTY (CBS 11 NEWS) – In a Stephenville courtroom on Friday Eddie Routh’s attorneys worked to keep a key piece of evidence from jurors. Routh is the man accused of murdering Navy sniper Chris Kyle and his friend Chad Littlefield at a gun range in Glen Rose last year.
Routh, who was escorted to court under heavy guard, sat quietly. But the court actually heard from him for the first time when his interrogation tape was played. In his own words Routh confessed to the murders and also apologized to the families.
The interrogation video also showed Routh a times being non-responsive and sounding delusional. His attorneys want the video thrown out and argued that Routh didn’t understand his rights.
The video clearly shows Routh confessing to the murders while talking to Texas Ranger Danny Briley. He even recalled a conversation with his sister, saying, “I told her I had to kill a man today. It wasn’t a want. It was a need. If I didn’t I was going to get my head shot off.”
When the Ranger asked how many times he shot Kyle and Littlefield, Routh replied, “A couple few.” He then said, “I was right up close to them. I didn’t mean to be so close.”
Routh also admitted to shooting Kyle first saying, “I knew if I didn’t take out his soul he would take my soul.”
The investigator asked Routh if he knew what he did was wrong and he replied, “Yes sir.”
When Ranger Briley asked if there was anything Routh would say to the families he stated clearly, “I would tell them I’m so sorry for what I’ve done. If I could have done it differently I would have done it differently.”
The judge still has to decide whether the confession can be used in the trial.
Chad Littlefield’s family said it was hard hearing Routh admit the killings and learning some of the details.
Chad Littlefield’s father, Don, said, “We have a just God and we know justice will be fulfilled.”
Routh’s family was also present in the courtroom, but had no comment.
Routh’s attorneys are pursuing an insanity defense. Jury selection for the trial is scheduled to begin in May.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Governor Abbott Cracks Joke About Reporters At Gun Range
- Texas Set To Pass New Abortion Restrictions
- Donaldson, Tulowitzki Activated, Back In Blue Jays’ Lineup
- Texas OKs Requiring Schools To Teach Sex Abuse Prevention
- Texas First Responders Could Soon Carry Guns
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures