DENTON (AP) – Rashad Ray and James Woodard each scored 18 points and Tulsa took down North Texas 79-68 Thursday to earn a share of the Conference USA regular season title.
Tulsa finished the regular season tied with Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech and Middle Tennessee atop the conference standings.
Shaquille Harrison added 15 points and Rashad Smith 14 for Tulsa (18-12, 13-3). The Golden Hurricane pulled away down the stretch, using a 6-0 spurt to break a tie at 54 for a 60-54 lead with 7:59 left.
North Texas (15-15, 6-10) closed to within 61-59 on Brandan Walton’s free throws, but Harrison responded with a pair of free throws and Ray’s basket with 3:29 left stretched the lead to 65-59.
Tulsa hit 10 of 12 free throws over the final 3:11 to preserve the win.
Walton and Alzee Williams each scored 20 points to lead North Texas.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dallas Dog Mauling Victim’s Family Seeks $5M From City
- Amazon Cancels Subscription Due To Frequent Returns
- Family Says Funeral Home Mixed Up Veteran’s Ashes
- Baylor Demotes Starr, Fires Coach Amid Sex Assaults Scandal
- Highway 80 Near Forney Shut Down In Both Directions
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures