IRVING (AP) – Iowa State senior forward Melvin Ejim has been selected as the Big 12’s player of the year by the league’s coaches.
Ejim was second in the league with both his 18.2 points and 8.6 rebounds a game.
The All-Big 12 awards selected by the 10 coaches were announced Sunday.
A pair of Kansas freshmen earned individual awards, with Andrew Wiggins voted the top freshman and 7-foot Joel Embiid the defensive player of the year. Iowa State guard DeAndre Kane was chosen as the newcomer of the year, and Texas’ Rick Barnes is coach of the year.
Joining Ejim, Kane and Wiggins on the All-Big 12 first team are Oklahoma State sophomore guard Marcus Smart and West Virginia junior guard Juwan Staten.
The Associated Press releases its awards Monday.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Friends, Family Grieve Loss Of Arlington High School Baseball Player
- Large Hail Batters North Texas During Severe Storms
- Teens Barred From United Flight For Wearing Leggings Sparks Backlash
- 5 Things: Sweet 16 And Elite 8 Weekend
- Maye’s Last Second Shot Sends UNC To Final Four With 75-73 Win Over Kentucky
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures