AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – Texas A&M has begun renovations which will increase the capacity of Kyle Field to 102,500. People in Austin have taken notice.
The athletics department at the University of Texas at Austin has begun a feasibility study on expansion of Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, which currently holds just over 100,000 fans.
The expansion would enclose the southern end of the stadium with a multilevel stand. Now, only a relatively small, bleacher-style stand and the Moncrief-Neuhaus Athletic Center sit in the stadium’s southern end.
“We continue to plan for the future of UT Athletics and work to provide a superior gameday experience for all our fans and stakeholders,” said Steve Patterson, Men’s Athletics Director. “The south end project is conceptual at this point. Any further planning will depend on a variety of factors to be studied over the next several months.”
A UT statement on Monday said the review will consider aspects such as financing and where parking and fan amenities displaced by the new Dell Medical School can be placed. The medical school is to be built just south of the stadium.
Any decision on whether to proceed with stadium improvements lies with the university administration and UT System regents.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- No Winner Last Night, Powerball Jackpot Now At $478 Million
- Cowboys Draft Pick Dak Prescott Acquitted Of Mississippi DUI
- Dallas Police Searching For Mentally Diminished Man With Health Problems
- Democratic Donors, Allies Offer Reward For Trump Tax Returns
- Warren Sapp Bitten By Shark During Florida Keys Lobster Trip
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures