Parents Of Killed Teen Forgive His Accused Murderers
Get Breaking News First
WYLIE (CBSDFW.COM) - His dream of joining the military will never be realized, but the parents of 17 year-old Ivan Mejia say their son was always a faithful soldier to God.
The couple read a statement outside their Wylie home, just days after their son was murdered behind Wylie East High School.
The two classmates accused in his murder remain in juvenile detention in Collin County.
In a court hearing Monday, it was revealed that the students had planned the murder days in advance. It was also revealed that one student held Mejia in a headlock, while pinching Mejia’s nose while the other suspect stuffed a sock in the victim’s mouth and taped it shut.
Police said the motive was that Mejia and one of the suspects were dating the same girl.
Anita Mejia, the victim’s mother, told CBS11 that her son was not dating the girl in question. She said that she and her son were friends and that one of the suspects was jealous of their friendship.
“They actually express forgiveness because they know what the other families are going through and their faith moves them to forgive as well,” said Benjamin Alicea, a family spokesperson the family knows through their church.
Alicea said Mejia was a unique young man.
“A leader in his own way,” Alicea said. “He saw a need and he would go try to help out.”
The family now says they want Mejia remembered not as a victim of a brutal crime, but for his service to others and his passion for Christ.
A memorial service for Mejia is planned Friday at First Baptist Church in Wylie at 3 p.m.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Garrett, Jerry On ‘Same Page’ With Romo
- Ryan Truex Cleared To Race At Bristol
- Gov. Perry’s Legal Team Will Ask Judge To End Case
- Southwest Airlines Plane Makes Emergency Landing At Love Field
- Manziel Fined $12,000 For Middle Finger
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures