Dallas 8th Grader Wins National Anti-Bullying Commercial Contest
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – What started out as a school assignment in her 8th grade film class at St. John’s Episcopal School in Dallas has now been viewed on YouTube more than 37,000 times.
But that’s not the most remarkable part about 14-year-old Lauren Bush’s two-and-a-half minute video. “When I made this video it wasn’t just a class project for me to get it over with as soon as I can,” she said. “I actually wanted to show people what happens in schools.”
Bush chose a topic for her video that’s personal – one that affects her and all her friends. She picked bullying. She said, “It happens everywhere especially among this age group.”
The video titled “Word Play” was shot at the Dallas private school and shows students sticking words on a fellow student’s back — words like “ugly” and “stupid.”
Then comes the part Bush said she hopes might actually inspire people. “When a girl with the sign that reads ‘empathetic’ shows up, she puts ‘beautiful’ to cancel out ‘ugly’ and ‘smart’ to cancel out ‘stupid.’”
One of Bush’s teachers at St. John’s Episcopal School was so impressed by the video she submitted it in a national commercial contest, the “Unite Against Bullying Challenge”, and it won.
In December, Bush was flown to New York City where her idea was used to make a public service announcement that that will be seen by millions of people.
Bush even makes an appearance in the commercial, fittingly she’s the student putting the “nice” sign on the back of the bullied girl.
Bush said, “It’s not going to stop [bullying] entirely, but I wanted to show it can just take one person to not following what everyone else is doing and do what they think is right.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- State Designation Could Save Astrodome
- Hyundai Recalls 883K Sonatas To Fix Gear Shifters
- AT&T Picks San Antonio For Faster Internet
- Americans Cool To Border-Crossing Kids
- Cowboys Rookie Lawrence Out With Broken Foot
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures