CLEARWATER, Fla. (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Yu Darvish is the unquestionable ace of the Texas Rangers pitching staff. Cliff Lee once was.
Now, the two will face-off in the season opener on March 31 at Globe Life Park in Arlington.
Lee, who joined the Phillies prior to the 2011 season, helped guide Texas through the playoffs and to the 2010 World Series.
Taking over for injured pitcher Cole Hamels, Lee will be making the second opening-day start of his career and first since 2009 for Cleveland.
The 35-year-old Lee pitched five shutout innings Saturday against Boston and has a 2.63 ERA in four spring training games.
“Easy call,” manager Ryne Sandberg said. “Obvious reasons. An All-Star last year. The way he’s pitched this spring. Easy call.”
Sandberg announced the news after the Phillies’ game against Baltimore was canceled because of rain.
Darvish is slated to start the opener for Texas.
“It’s definitely an honor,” Lee said. “I look forward to it. I’m ready to go. It’s coming on us pretty quick. It’s two weeks away, so I’m ready to go.”
Lee is entering the fourth season of a $120 million, five-year deal. He was 14-8 with a 2.87 ERA in 31 starts last year, when he made his fourth All-Star team.
The 2008 AL Cy Young Award winner in 2008, Lee has gone 85-50 with a 2.89 ERA, 25 complete games and 12 shutouts in 186 starts during the last six seasons.
Sandberg said veterans A.J. Burnett and Kyle Kendrick will follow Lee in the rotation.
“We look good,” Lee said. “Obviously Cole being injured isn’t good, but we get him back and we’re going to be pretty strong. Health is the key to everything. If we stay healthy and continue to go out there then we’ll be a solid chance and give the team a chance a lot.”
Slowed by biceps tendinitis, Hamels threw a bullpen session Sunday, his second in five days. Hamels may not rejoin the rotation until May.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Major Change For Oft-Injured Rangers Pitcher Minor
- Gonzaga Rounding Into Form At Perfect Time
- When NBA Returns, Will Warriors’ Dominance Come Back, Too?
- 5 Guys Who Could Shine At NFL Combine
- Roman Reigns On Racial Equality In WWE, Brock Lesnar WrestleMania Rumors
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures