DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – All of the eastbound lanes of Interstate 635 were at a complete stop Tuesday afternoon as members of the Dallas Police Department and Dallas Fire Rescue worked a major accident near Audelia.
The initial incident involved a vehicle that had flipped over.
The rubbernecking and frustration resulted in two more accidents on 635. There was one crash on the eastbound side near Abrams Road and another on the westbound side, near Forest Lane.
The situation then went from bad to worse when dozens of drivers decided the best course of action was to turn around and try to drive in the wrong direction to try and get off the highway.
Members of Dallas police actually walked out onto the roadway, tapped on windows, instructed drivers to turn around and guided the vehicles around them so as to clear up the very strange bottleneck.
Tuesday evening some drivers interviewed insisted it wasn’t frustration that created the chaotic scene, but rather police officers who directed them to violate the traffic laws. Dallas police have not responded to those claims.
A DPD spokesman didn’t have any details about the situation or the accident that led to the mayhem.
It took a few minutes to get all the vehicles turned in the right direction and surprisingly traffic began to unsnarl very quickly.
No one was injured in any of the accidents or the traffic chaos that followed.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Experts: The Future Is Now For Self-Driving Cars
- Texas Releases Abortion Booklet Citing Refuted Cancer Links
- Children With Disabilities Caught In Middle Of Battle Over Medicaid Cuts
- Hit-And-Run Driver Pushes Grandmother’s Car Onto Train Tracks
- Former Fed Official Edward W. ‘Mike’ Kelley Jr. Dies At 84
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures