105.3 THE FAN — Kansas. Kentucky. Duke. NCAA tournament teams are littered with freshman athletes looking to make the jump after just one season of service.
Earlier this month, Mark Cuban argued that the NBA Development League, not the NCAA, is the best path for an amateur athlete out of college. Cuban called the NCAA “hypocritical”, noting that most kids don’t even want to attend class.
College basketball legend and analyst Dick Vitale weighed in on the subject on 105.3 The Fan’s New School with Shan & RJ.
“I believe in college. Mark had some good points that he made. Certainly he’s a very creative mind. I like a lot of things about Mark, but I totally disagree with him there,” said Vitale. “I think the college situation is better for those that want to go to college. I firmly believe that college is for kids that want to be in college. Not the kids that you rent for one year to play and they move on. That’s not what college is for. College is for kids that want to be in college. ”
Vitale acknowledged that some athletes — like Hall of Fame locks LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, and Kevin Garnett — should have the ability to make the jump straight to the NBA. Even some of this season’s best collegiate athletes should have the chance to take their talents to the NBA out of high school.
“If a kid like [Andrew] Wiggins and [Julius] Randle and [Jabari] Parker, if they want to go out of high school, why should we deny them that opportunity and that chance? I don’t think it’s fair; I don’t think it’s right.”
But the new trend of one-and-done players in college basketball — it has to stop.
“Once you step on a college campus, like in baseball, you should have to stay there for three years. You make the decision. You want to go to the NBA? You want to go play in that development league? Fine. Do it. But once you step in college, you cannot leave for three years. That would give it stability.”
But would his plan actually work?
“It works in baseball; it can work in basketball if everyone gets behind it.”
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Nick Faldo On The Barclays: Bethpage Black ‘A Beautiful Golf Course’
- Another Day, Another Report Of Gas Smell At South Oak Cliff H.S.
- Report: Stars Agree To One Year Deal With Jiri Hudler
- Dallas City Council Member Accused Of ‘Ambulance-Chasing’ In Civil Lawuit
- KT Fun House: Employee Of The Month
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures