Texas Group Wants You To Skip The Shower, For A Good Cause
DALLAS, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – Imagine not taking a shower for a week…but for a good cause. An Austin non-profit is asking people to do just that in an effort to raise awareness and money for water systems in impoverished communities in Africa.
An Austin-based nonprofit called ‘Well Aware’ builds water systems for impoverished communities around the world. To raise awareness and funds, they have announced the return of their infamous ‘Shower Strike’.
On March 22 the group is calling for a one-week shower strike, a fundraiser that recruits volunteers to abstain from showering for one week or until they raise at least $1,000 for the charity.
According to statictics from Weel Aware – every $15 raised provides sustainable, clean water to a person for 20 to 30 years. A team that raises $1,000 is giving the gift of water to 67 people.
“For the people we are helping, a clean drink of water is a luxury. A shower is unheard of,” says Evans. “This simple, attention-grabbing fundraiser enables anyone who wants to help Well Aware’s cause—individuals, teams, organizations, student groups, companies, friends, and families alike— make a big impact in a short time.”
You can learn more about the project on their website: www.showerstrike.org
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Colleyville Residents Divided By Small 2-Lane Road
- Denton May Reduce Distance Between Gas Wells & Homes
- Dallas County Sheriff’s Deputy Arrested For Theft
- “Top 10″ Most Wanted Sex Offender Arrested
- Family In Arlington DWI Crash Faces Drunk Driver In Court
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures