Rangers Name Scheppers Opening Day Starter
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – With staff ace Yu Darvish out, the Texas Rangers have named converted reliever Tanner Scheppers the team’s Opening Day starter.
In his first career start, Scheppers will oppose Phillies starter Cliff Lee on Monday, March 31 at Globe Life Park in Arlington.
In 2013, Scheppers appeared in a team-high 76 games, collecting 27 holds while maintaining a 1.88 ERA. The 27-year-old righthander last pitched on Friday, limiting the Brewers to two runs in six innings of work.
Darvish was initially slated to pitch the opener, but was scratched from his scheduled start due to a stiff neck. Though there is no structural damage to his neck, he will open the season on the DL.
The rotation will include left-handers Martin Perez, Robbie Ross, and Joe Saunders. Rookie right-hander Nick Martinez is expected to be the fifth starter while Darvish recovers, according to MLB.com.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Breaking Down College Basketball’s Top 25 Teams [11-15]
- Sceviour’s Shootout Goal Lifts Stars Over Panthers 4-3
- Best Team Fits For The Top 25 NFL Free Agents [20-25]
- Blazers Win 94-75 Over Mavericks
- UT Arlington Falls To Georgia Southern, 76-64
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures