MARTINSVILLE, Va. (AP) – Kyle Busch became the sixth driver to win a pole in the first six races this season in NASCAR’s top series.
Busch turned a fast lap at 99.674 mph Friday in qualifying at Martinsville Speedway. It’s his 14th career Sprint Cup pole, and first in 19 tries at Martinsville.
In an interesting twist under NASCAR’s new knockout qualifying system, Busch won the pole while Joey Logano broke the track record. That came at 100.201 mph during the first phase of qualifying.
Denny Hamlin earned the No. 2 starting spot with a lap at 99.548 mph, and will be followed on the starting grid by Logano and Hendrick Motorsports’ Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon.
Danica Patrick qualified 10th, her best starting spot in a race not held at Daytona.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- State Rep. Wants To End Incentives For Film Industry In Wake Of Weinstein Revelations
- Passionate Arguments On Future Of Confederate Monuments In Dallas
- Judge HR Sparks NY, Yanks Beat Astros 6-4 To Even ALCS At 2
- Celebrate 20 Years Of Dirk!
- Football Game Cancelled After Head-On Crash Involving School Bus
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures