MARTINSVILLE, Va. (AP) – Kyle Busch became the sixth driver to win a pole in the first six races this season in NASCAR’s top series.
Busch turned a fast lap at 99.674 mph Friday in qualifying at Martinsville Speedway. It’s his 14th career Sprint Cup pole, and first in 19 tries at Martinsville.
In an interesting twist under NASCAR’s new knockout qualifying system, Busch won the pole while Joey Logano broke the track record. That came at 100.201 mph during the first phase of qualifying.
Denny Hamlin earned the No. 2 starting spot with a lap at 99.548 mph, and will be followed on the starting grid by Logano and Hendrick Motorsports’ Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon.
Danica Patrick qualified 10th, her best starting spot in a race not held at Daytona.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Blank Says No Rift Going Forward With Jones Over Goodell’s Contract
- Large Grass Fire Scorches Part Of Parker County
- Jefferson Davis Park In Fort Worth To Be Renamed
- Uber Charges Costumer Over $14,000 For 20-Minute Ride
- Season Of Giving: Forbes Reveals The Top U.S. Charities Of 2017
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures