NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Admit it. We’ve all taken at least one of those online quizzes that are popping up all over the social media sites. Some have gone viral, like the one that asks, “Which state do you actually belong in?” or “What Downton Abbey character are you?”
In fact, when media mogul Rupert Murdoch took one that asked, “Which billionaire tycoon are you,” he matched with himself. His staff felt that was so significant they tweeted out a picture of him taking the quiz.
But the quizzes are anything but scientific.
That is pretty clear when, in one test that claims to pick your preferred profession, you are asked the seemingly unrelated question of which trilogy you like the most.
Another asks how you get over a hangover, claiming that, somehow, the answer would help determine, “What kind of a dog are you.
Dr. Janet Johnson, an assistant clinical professor at the University of Texas in Dallas, said the online site buzzfeed.com, has made the quizzical quizzes popular.
“I think buzzfeed.com has really simplified the process,” Johnson said. “They don’t ask you anything personal. They make it fun.”
According to Johnson, the quizzes make people feel good about them. “They help us affirm who we are… they help us ask the age old question, `Who am I?’”
“I usually take quizzes when I’m killing time,” said UT-Dallas student Amanda Boudreaux, one of the millions of followers of the online tests
The web puzzles have the potential of becoming a dream-come-true for advertising marketers who want to gain a strong presence online. For instance, the quiz, “Which state do you actually belong in?” generated more than 40 million views on buzzfeed.
“That could become a windfall for advertisers,” Johnson said, adding, “I think quizzes are going to be end up being marketing tools.”
“You may end up having a quiz about what Krispy Kreme donuts are you going be,” she said. And that could help marketer’s customize ad placement.
Not to be outdone, we’ve devised our own quiz for you.
♦♦♦ Click here to take our quiz and find out “Which CBS 11 News anchor are you?” ♦♦♦
(The quiz will advance after you’ve chosen your answer)
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Nanette Fabray, Star Of Stage, Screen And TV, Dies At 97
- Delta, United Latest To Cut Ties With NRA
- Police Officers Drop The Puck To Raise Money For Child Fighting Terminal Disease
- School Threats Increasing In North Texas Since Florida School Shooting
- Dallas Mayor Calls Out Judges To Do Better Job At Taking Away Abuser’s Guns
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures