Duncanville Police Warning About Scam Involving Oncor
DUNCANVILLE, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – Police say two men who look like they are working with a utility company ripped off thousands of dollars from an elderly woman on March 28.
According to police, the two men told unsuspecting resident they worked for Oncor and claimed they traced a short in the wiring through their computer to the victim’s house.
Officer Doug Sisk says the suspects showed her a burnt wire they claimed was found in her attic. Because the victim was worried the house might burn down – she complied with their request.
The bogus workers claimed they fixed the problem and charged her $5,000 dollars.
When she expressed her shock, they said they would knock off $400 dollars if she got them cash from the bank. She did and later realized it was a scam.
Officer Sisk says they’re working with banks to heighten awareness about this.
The suspects were described as white males ‘in their 40’s’ and were wearing hard hats. They were driving a white pickup with a yellow light bar on the roof.
If you have any information on the suspects you are urged to call police.
Officer Sisk reminds residents to never allow strangers in your home. Also, be leery of anyone offering an unrequested service – and always ask to see a company ID.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Fort Worth Police Searching For Car Jacking Suspect
- Plano’s Vision Of The Future Now The Subject Of Controversy
- Judge Halts Worker’s Comp Claim For Dallas Ebola Nurse Nina Pham
- Blue Bell Voluntarily Recalls All Of Its Products Due To Possible Health Risk
- Driver Rescued From Burning Car By Police Had Just Seconds To Live
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures