NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – In a first for Texas, one stretch of north Texas freeway is going to allow you to drive on the shoulder.
It’s the 3-mile stretch of Highway 161 in Irving, from Highway 183 to Beltline that narrows from 3 lanes to 2 – and has caused many traffic headaches due to rush hour bottlenecks.
“We’re going to go in and use the shoulder so we can have three lanes in each direction.” says Michael Morris, Transportation Director for the North Central Texas Council of Governments.
Morris also says it’s a low cost way to ease congestion as you travel the George Bush Turnpike. “We’re going to stage tow trucks in case there is a break down to clear that incident up right away.”
Morris adds, “It’s a the first time it’s been used in the state of Texas. It’s been successful in other parts of the country.”
The project should be complete in about a year, and signs will let you know when the shoulder is open or closed.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas Police Need Help Finding Missing 14-Year-Old Girl
- Fire At Rope Manufacturing Plant
- Motel Shooting Leaves One Dead
- Kobe Bryant Says He Will Retire At End Of Season
- Iraq Veteran Killed In Colorado Shooting Leaves Behind Children In Texas
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures