FORT WORTH (CBS 11 NEWS) – Hours after Ivan Lopez’s death, Fort Hood Army Lt. General Mark Milley admitted they were still trying to figure out who Lopez was. In fact, as of 10 pm on Wednesday night, Army officials were still trying to notify Lopez’s family of his death.
What CBS 11 was able to find out about 34-year-old Ivan Lopez, is he has very little history in the United States. CBS 11’s I-Team was able to track him down to an address out of El Paso and several permanent addresses in Puerto Rico. Our initial investigative efforts also uncovered Lopez had little to no social media footprint.
“We have FBI and appropriate agencies searching the internet, Twitter, Facebook and all the normal associations you would do in the investigation,” Milley explained.
Milley added that the suspect had not been stationed at Fort Hood long, arriving on post less than two months ago. “He recently arrived at Fort Hood in February from another installation and we’re checking with the other instillation to determine the background of the soldier,” Milley told reporters.
Ivan Lopez served one tour, four months, in Iraq back in 2011. When he returned, he diagnosed himself with a traumatic brain injury. At the time of the shooting, he was being treated for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, PTSD, but had not officially been diagnosed. Milley said the suspect was undergoing the diagnosis process for PTSD and, in the meantime, was receiving specific treatment for behavior, health and psychiatric issues.
Despite his treatment, Lopez had not been assigned to the Warrior Transition Brigade at Fort Hood.
Lopez was married and does have a family in the Central Texas area.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Chronic Stress Linked To A Bigger Waistline In New Study
- Reports: MRI On Hamilton’s Knee Comes Back Clean
- Roy Talks To Legendary NHL Player, NBC Analyst Jeremy Roenick
- ‘Extremely Critical’ Wildfire Alert In Texas, 2 Other States
- Opening Statements In The Corruption Trial Of John Wiley Price
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures