First Phase Of New Skatepark Opens In Arlington
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – After years of funding, planning and construction, the first phase of the new Vandergriff Skatepark in Arlington opened at 11 a.m. Saturday at 2800 S Center St.
The Vandergriff Skatepark is located inside Vandergriff Park, currently spanning 21,000 square feet.
The grand opening ceremony was held Saturday morning, accompanied by food truck concessions, skating demonstrations and a “Best Trick” skating competition.
The portion of the skatepark that opened today is only the first phase of the project. The area is referred to as a “plaza style” skate area with a flow bowl and a snake run with multiple terrains.
The overall master plan, according to a press release, will encompass 40,000 square feet.
One million dollars went into the funding of the first phase, which was originally provided in 2008.
Once funds were collected, the site of the park was chosen in 2011 as part of the “skatepark strategy plan.”
Several public meetings were then held to assess public wants and skater wants, as well as a chance to have a hand in designing the park.
Some of the public’s requests included providing a place where skaters of all ages and skill levels can practice. The portion that opened Saturday is more geared towards intermediate to skilled skaters.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Security Camera Records Semi Ramming Into Family Of Four
- Man Jumped To His Death To Avoid Theft Charges
- Man Charged After Accountant Is Punched, Falls, Hits Head
- Frisco Parents Upset With School Bus Service
- City Votes “No” On Irving’s $173M Music Factory
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures