NCAA Players Coach Special Olympics Athletes
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – NBA legend Grant Hill and a team of 10 NCAA basketball players teamed up to put on a basketball clinic for Texas Special Olympics athletes Sunday in Dallas.
The 10 player team is called the Allstate National Association of Basketball Coaches Good Works Team. The NCAA players come from across the country, with student -athletes from Virginia, Pennsylvania, Utah, Maryland and more.
The volunteer players were selected based on “nominations submitted by athletic departments on behalf of their teams by a special voting panel of former student-athletes and coaches, members of the media and Hill,” according to press release.
The NABC Good Works Team taught the Special Olympics athletes a variety of basketball skills, drills and activities at the Valley View Sportsplex.
This is the second year the team has put on the volunteer activity.
“They’re having fun, they’re smiling, they’re laughing, they’re joking, they’re asking questions about the game to me – they’re asking questions about the guys who are here from various colleges – so i think they’re enjoying it, but you know what? we’re enjoying it!” Hill told CBS 11 News.
Allstate, who sponsors the event and the NABC, donated $10,000 to Special Olympics Texas before the clinic began.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Folks Flock To Lake Arlington On Memorial Day
- Pair Of World War II Vets Share Feelings On Memorial Day
- 2 Gun Rights Bills Expected To Get Final Votes In Texas
- Constant Downpours Dampen Local Business Operations
- Twister Kills 13 In Mexico Border City; 12 Missing In Texas
- Texas City Working To Turn Sewer Water Into Tap Water
- Plano Man Killed After Reentering Burning Home To Retrieve Phone
- Allen ISD’s $60 Million Football Stadium Closed For Months
- Spring One Day, Thundersleet The Next
- North Texas Man “Crowdfunds” $90,000 Birthday Party
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures