AP — The WWE says James Hellwig, better known as former pro wrestler The Ultimate Warrior, has died. He was 54.
The WWE announced Hellwig’s death Tuesday night in a statement, though no details were given.
Hellwig was one of pro wrestling’s biggest stars in the late 1980s. He beat Hulk Hogan in a memorable match at Wrestlemania in 1990.
He was in the spotlight again earlier this week, making appearances at the latest Wrestlemania in New Orleans and on “Monday Night Raw,” and being inducted into the WWE Hall of fame.
WWE chairman Vince McMahon tweeted: “We are all so sad the Ultimate Warrior has passed away. Our heart is with his wife Dana and his two daughters.”
The WWE didn’t immediately respond to a message from The Associated Press seeking additional details.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Little Elm Building Park To Honor Fallen Officers
- Major Water Main Break In Southlake Will Take Hours To Repair
- Traffic Stop Leads To Drug, Weapons Bust In Arlington
- Texas Freshman Mo Bamba Leaving School For NBA Draft
- Spring Training Report: Ohtani Struggles, Altuve Gets Paid
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures