LONGVIEW (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – Emails show that plans for a Ted Nugent concert in East Texas were canceled after the shock rocker drew criticism for calling President Barack Obama a “subhuman mongrel.”
The Longview News Journal reported Sunday that emails between city officials show the concert was canceled a week after Nugent made headlines for divisive remarks that surfaced while he campaigned with Republican gubernatorial candidate Greg Abbott.
Texas Gov. Rick Perry condemned Nugent’s inflammatory remarks, saying that he had “a problem calling the president a mongrel.”
The newspaper obtained the emails under open records laws.
Nugent apologized for the Obama slur. But a few days later, a city official sent an email to employees saying that the Longview city manager’s office had ordered the concert canceled because of the comments.
The city of Longview paid more than $16,000 to break off negotiations with Nugent.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Suspect Arrested In Connection Fort Worth Home Invasion
- New Recycling Plant In Dallas Meant To Make Process Easier
- Frisco Mom & Sunday School Teacher Dies Helping Stranger
- Dallas VA Patients Return For Appointments After Bomb Scare
- Ex-US Rep. Stockman Indicted For Misusing Donations
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures