LONGVIEW (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – Emails show that plans for a Ted Nugent concert in East Texas were canceled after the shock rocker drew criticism for calling President Barack Obama a “subhuman mongrel.”
The Longview News Journal reported Sunday that emails between city officials show the concert was canceled a week after Nugent made headlines for divisive remarks that surfaced while he campaigned with Republican gubernatorial candidate Greg Abbott.
Texas Gov. Rick Perry condemned Nugent’s inflammatory remarks, saying that he had “a problem calling the president a mongrel.”
The newspaper obtained the emails under open records laws.
Nugent apologized for the Obama slur. But a few days later, a city official sent an email to employees saying that the Longview city manager’s office had ordered the concert canceled because of the comments.
The city of Longview paid more than $16,000 to break off negotiations with Nugent.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Grand Prairie’s Delayed Prairie Lights Display To Reopen Thursday
- Oncor Crews Restoring Power in Oklahoma Amid Winter Storm Outages
- Foreign Investors Fuel Price Real Estate Trend
- Video: Carolina Fan Put In Choke Hold By AT&T Stadium Security Guard
- Frisco PD Gives Back on “Giving Tuesday”
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures