Strong Era Begins At Texas With Shaky QB Play
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) – The Charlie Strong era began at Texas with a shaky performance at quarterback and few questions answered about just how quickly the Longhorns can rebound in the Big 12 under their new coach.
Tyrone Swoopes struggled to command the first-team offense in Saturday’s annual spring scrimmage. Texas is hoping he can establish himself as a viable option in the fall.
With David Ash injured, Swoopes took every snap with the starters but started just 4 of 18 passing against the second-team defense, and his first throw was intercepted.
Swoopes finished with 229 yards passing and three touchdowns against the No. 2 defense.
Strong was hired in January from Louisville to replace Mack Brown. Texas hasn’t won the Big 12 or more than nine games since 2009.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arrest Made In Dallas Homicide
- Cowboys RB Murray Runs Off With Offensive Player
- Three People Wounded In Nightclub Shooting
- Hundreds Gather To Celebrate Life Of Dallas Artist Roosevelt Wilkerson.
- Former Cowboy Charles Haley Among NFL Hall Of Fame Inductees
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures