Perry Baptized In Same Creek As Sam Houston
Get Breaking News First
AUSTIN (AP) - Gov. Rick Perry has long revered Texas icon Sam Houston and now shares a spiritual connection with one of his political heroes: getting baptized in the same creek.
Perry was dunked last month in Little Rocky Creek near the small town of Independence in a private baptism witnessed only by close friends and family. Spokeswoman Lucy Nashed said Tuesday that Perry “wanted to reaffirm his commitment” to his faith in a way that holds great personal meaning.
The baptism was first reported by The Texas Tribune.
The creek is the same one where Houston was baptized before becoming the seventh governor of Texas in 1859.
Perry will leave office in January after a record 14 years on the job. He hasn’t ruled out another run for president in 2016.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Collapsed Traffic Sign Leaves NB 820 Closed In Hurst
- Jerry Jones: Not A ‘Make-Or-Break’ Year For Garrett
- Yankees Top Rangers 2-1 In Rain-Shortened Game
- NCAA Enforcement Director Defends Investigators
- Darrell Wallace Jr. Wins Mudsummer Classic
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures