Officer Who Shot Armed 93-Year-Old Fired
HEARNE (AP) — Officials in a small Central Texas town have decided to fire a police officer who shot and killed an armed 93-year-old woman during a confrontation at her home.
The city council unanimously voted Saturday to fire Officer Stephen Stem, who shot and killed Pearlie Golden on Tuesday, KBTX-TV reports. The vote took less than 30 minutes.
Hearne Mayor Ruben Gomez had told demonstrators he would recommend Stem’s dismissal.
Texas Rangers are investigating the shooting.
Golden’s nephew, Roy Jones, told KBTX-TV on Friday that his aunt became upset when she was denied a driver’s license renewal, and she armed herself.
Jones says he called 911 and his aunt fired two shots before the officer shot her.
Stem’s attorney has said his client’s actions were justified.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- ‘Dez Watch’ About To Become ‘Watch Dez’
- Greer Talks Rangers & Maytag Promotion
- Texans Prepare For Sales Tax Holiday
- NBA In Africa? ‘Stay Tuned’ For Regular-Season Game
- 35 Thoughts On The Deal That Brought The Rangers Number 35
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures