MINERAL WELLS (CBSDFW.COM) – Nearly 96 percent of voters in Mineral Wells approved reallocating an eighth of the city’s sales tax to renovate the old Baker Hotel.
“I call her the grand lady,” Mineral Wells Mayor Mike Allen told CBS 11 News earlier this year. “Once she gets under your skin she just draws you in. There is something about her that is magical almost.”
The hotel, which was a luxurious spa destination when it opened in 1929, shut down more than four decades ago.
In its prime, celebrity guests such as Judy Garland, Clark Gable and Roy Rogers stayed there.
The hotel has long lured those nearby, but soon the small town hopes it will bring in new visitors.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- 20+ Mile Police Chase Ends With Burglary Suspect Shot
- Giants DE Pierre-Paul Out For 6 Weeks Following Surgery
- Rhule Facing Big Task As Baylor’s New Coach
- Donald Trump Named Time Magazine’s ‘Person Of The Year’
- No Longer The Underdog, Mayfield Still Has Fire
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures