IRVING (CBSDFW.COM) — The Dallas Cowboys have signed free agent defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, 105.3 The Fan confirms.
Okoye, 26, was out of football in 2013 due to an undisclosed medical issue, but spent the two previous seasons in Chicago. He was originally drafted 10th overall by the Houston Texans in 2007.
Rod Marinelli, who was named the Cowboys defensive coordinator this offseason, previously coached Okoye in Chicago.
In 6 years, Okoye has collected 16 sacks and forced three fumbles.
He enjoyed his best season as a pass rusher in his rookie season, when he collected 5.5 sacks in 16 games. He followed that up with 5.5 sacks total over his next three seasons, leading to his release by the Texans in 2011.
The Nigeria native became the youngest athlete ever to appear in a collegiate game at the age of 16 in 2003. He spent four seasons at Louisville.
Dallas addressed their defensive needs in the draft. After selecting offensive tackle Zack Martin at No. 16 in the first round, the team finished the draft with seven of nine players on defense.
That included trading up to select Boise State defensive end Demarcus Lawrence with the 34th overall selection.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Cowboys Zeke & Dak Lead NFL All-Rookie Team
- Jones Says Romo “Will Play In A Superbowl,” Would Not Specify Team
- Cowboys Season In Review: Dallas Exceeded All Expectations in 2016 Despite Early Playoff Loss
- Disappointed Cowboys Fans Feel Good About Future
- Garrett Wants The Best For Tony Romo, Declines To Name A Starting QB
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures