Dutch Masterpiece To Go On Display At Kimbell
FORT WORTH (AP) — The Kimbell Art Museum in Fort Worth is putting its newly acquired landscape by a Dutch master on display.
The 17th century painting by Jacob van Ruisdael titled “Edge of a Forest with Grainfield” will go on display Friday. Ruisdael is considered one of the greatest landscape painters. Ruisdael expert Seymour Slive calls the painting “a world-class masterpiece.”
Earlier this year the museum purchased the painting from Oxford University’s Worcester College, which had the work since 1811 when an alumnus donated it.
The painting, measuring about 3 feet by 5 feet, depicts billowing clouds above a scene featuring a stream with a forest on one side and a field on the other.
The Kimbell has put the work in an antique Dutch gilt frame.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 30 Players: Souza Has Tools To Impress For Tampa Bay Rays
- US Running Out Of Room To Store Oil; Price Collapse Next?
- Breaking Down College Basketball’s Top 25 Teams [1-5]
- New NCAA Legislation On Academic Misconduct In Works
- MLB Tries To Speed Up Games This Spring
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures