Islamic Art Collection On Display In Dallas
DALLAS (AP) – The Dallas Museum of Art is putting on display the first item from a rarely-shown Islamic art collection that it recently got on long-term loan.
The carved crystal ewer will go on display Tuesday at the museum. The pitcher from late 10th- to 11th-century Egypt was cut from a single piece of rock crystal.
It’s part of the Keir Collection, which is one of the largest private holdings of Islamic art. The museum announced earlier this year that the collection of almost 2,000 works was coming to Dallas as part of a 15-year renewable loan.
The museum says only seven rock crystal ewers of similar quality from the medieval Islamic world are known. The collection was assembled by a Hungarian-born collector over five decades.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Service Held To Mark 20 Years Since Oklahoma City Bombing
- Sought After High School Football Star Arrested
- Four Injured In Wrong-Way Crash
- Second Night Weather Headlines ACM Show
- How Stars Spent The Day Before The ACMs
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures