LONGVIEW, Texas (AP) – Vandals have damaged nearly 90 headstones at an East Texas cemetery.
Some of the headstones at Greenwood Cemetery in Longview were moved while others were knocked over and damaged. Older headstones, including some obelisks, were toppled and broken into pieces. Police believe the vandalism occurred Tuesday.
The cemetery association is considering raising the money needed to install surveillance cameras.
The Longview News-Journal reports some of the older headstones could cost up to $1,000 to repair.
Authorities elsewhere in East Texas also have reported criminal activity at cemeteries.
Officials west of Longview in Van Zandt County say two people were arrested this week for stealing brass from several grave sites.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Mathews Arrest Reaction: ‘He Should Have Come Clean A Long Time Ago’
- Dallas PD Plan: Rehire Retired Officers As Civilians Temporarily
- Father Of Sherin Mathews Arrested On A First Degree Felony Charge
- North Texas Department Of Veteran Affairs Names New Director
- Wise County Sheriff’s Office Looking For Missing K-9
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures